The Media love bees. They’re a perennial source of stories, with appeal to a wide range of consumer and business audiences. Their plight—and their importance as pollinators to our food supply—has captured the attention of the world. While progress is being made in addressing colony collapse disorder, it’s still a significant problem, and the public remains strongly concerned. Who is stepping up to help, research on bee health and promising solutions are the kinds of stories they’re hungry for.
If you want more press coverage for your business, beekeeping is an easy, cost-effective way to get it. Think of it as a gift that keeps on giving—to the planet and to your brand. Here are just a few of the ways you can use beekeeping to generate a stream of positive PR throughout the coming year:
- Corporate commitment: Bees make tangible a host of hidden environmental actions your company may be taking, from energy conservation to wastewater treatment.
- Impressive numbers: A dozen hives will support more than a half-million bees, who can pollinate an area of several square miles.
- Environmental impact: Through pollination, your bees assure the production of the fruits, nuts, and berries that local wildlife depend on.
- Education: Visits by local schools can help teach children about the role bees play, and how individuals and companies can make a difference in the local environment.
- Healthy workplaces: Beekeeping demonstrates your commitment to a healthy workplace and the well-being of your employees.
- Local food sourcing: If you have a restaurant or company cafeteria, using your honey in seasonal dishes and beverages is a creative way to demonstrate local food sourcing.
- Engaging events: Parties themed around bees and honey help people connect personally to your sustainability efforts.