Here's who we're looking for:
Part-Time Beekeeper: Pittsburgh, PA
The Best Bees Company is seeking experienced part-time beekeepers in the Pittsburgh area!
We are a full-service beekeeping operation headquartered in Boston. We deliver, install, and manage beehives for residences and businesses in 22 cities nationwide, including the Pittsburgh metro area. The data we collect via our hive visits supports honey bee health research at our sister non-profit The Urban Beekeeping Laboratory and Bee Sanctuary.
Our beekeepers are managed from our Boston office and we offer flexible scheduling to accommodate your schedule. Ideally, candidates will be available for at least 2 - 4 beekeeping routes per month, though more frequent scheduling may be available. We offer a competitive hourly rate and are seeking a beekeeper to start ASAP.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- At least one full season of beekeeping experience
- Consistent weekday availability for 1-3 days per week
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to efficiently service hives in the Philadelphia area
- Access to a vehicle you feel comfortable transporting beekeeping equipment in
- Access to a smartphone
- Ability to communicate clearly, consistently, and promptly. Familiarity with Slack, Google services, Apple products
- Willingness to take on additional, often last-minute tasks/hive checks such as queen fixes, swarm catching, company events, etc.
- Comfortable working independently in the field with support from remote managers
- Ability to safely lift up to 50 lbs regularly
Responsibilities will include
Service hives in the Philadelphia region following monthly objectives
Record detailed information about the beehives through our proprietary application
Perform beehive installations, relocations, and removals
Maintain Best Bees equipment including keeping inventory and construction
Administer Varroa mite treatments safely and efficiently
Maintain a professional and courteous attitude with Best Bees clientele
Assist with the collection of honey samples for genomic testing & participation in Best Bees sponsored events
Perform occasional site consultations with new clients to pick a location for a beehive according to guidelines provided
Facilitate extraction of client honey (using rental equipment to extract, filter, jar and label; or by transferring to city harvesting location)
- Competitive Rates
- Flexible schedules
- Access to Beekeeper Training Materials
- Beekeeping Information/Supplies/Materials/Products
- A positive ESG mission with unique culture
Who We Are
The Best Bees Company installs and maintains honeybee hives on commercial, government, and residential properties in urban centers across the US. Our mission is to improve pollinator health and expand the bee population by partnering with clients across all sectors of business and government.
Since 2010, we have made a tangible, positive impact on the environment, one beehive at a time. The Best Bees Company has developed innovative approaches and data that are now used by such institutions as NASA, MIT, Harvard, and National Geographic.
The Best Bees Company is a hub for scientists, artists, and adventurers, where a culture of creativity and environmental stewardship thrive. Our staff of driven professionals dedicates themselves to developing cutting-edge and resourceful ways of ensuring bee health, global food security, and client engagement.
Ready to Apply?
Send an email including your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll follow up as soon as possible!