Here's who we're looking for:
Beekeeper: New York City, Metro Area
The Best Bees Company is seeking a full-time beekeeper in New York City!
Best Bees is a full-service beekeeping operation headquartered in Boston. We deliver, install, and manage beehives for residences and businesses in major cities nationwide, including the New York metro area. Our beekeepers are managed either remotely from our Boston office or in-person from the regional facility. We offer a competitive hourly rate and are seeking an experienced beekeeper to start immediately. Compensation is based on experience and qualifications.
Our field operations team is made up of dedicated environmentalists working to support scientific research in honeybee colonies on buildings and in backyards across the United States. Our beekeepers and apiarists play a direct role in our research and grow the pollinator population with each hive check. They are a vital piece of our mission and are considered field ecologists.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- At least one full season of beekeeping experience
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to efficiently service hives in the New York area
- Access to a vehicle you feel comfortable transporting beekeeping equipment in
- Access to a smartphone
- Ability to communicate clearly, consistently, and promptly. Familiarity with Slack, Google services, and Apple products
- Willingness to take on additional, often last-minute tasks/hive checks such as queen fixes, swarm catching, company events, etc.
- Familiarity with public speaking or event hosting
- Comfortable working independently in the field with support from remote managers
- Ability to safely lift up to 50 lbs regularly and follow safety protocols
Responsibilities will include
- Service Best Bees hives in the New York region following monthly objectives, reporting to the regional facility each day.
- Record detailed information about the beehives through our proprietary application
- Perform beehive installations, relocations, and removals
- Maintain Best Bees equipment and facilities including construction of boxes/frames, keeping inventory, and general cleaning
- Administer Varroa mite treatments safely and efficiently
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude with Best Bees clientele and communicate efficiently with Best Bees managers.
- Assist with the collection of honey samples for genomic testing & participation in Best Bees-sponsored events
- Perform occasional site consultations with new clients to pick a location for a beehive according to guidelines provided
- Facilitate extraction of client honey (using rental equipment to extract, filter, jar and label; or by transferring to city harvesting location)
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive Rates
- PTO and Sick Time (approx. 15 days/year), Ability to Float Holidays, Winter Reset
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Training & Beekeeping Information/Supplies/Materials/Products
- A positive ESG mission with unique culture
Who We Are
The Best Bees Company installs and maintains honeybee hives on commercial, government, and residential properties in urban centers across the US. Our mission is to improve pollinator health and expand the bee population by partnering with clients across all sectors of business and government.
Since 2010, we have made a tangible, positive impact on the environment, one beehive at a time. The Best Bees Company has developed innovative approaches and data that are now used by such institutions as NASA, MIT, Harvard, and National Geographic.
The Best Bees Company is a hub for scientists, artists, and adventurers, where a culture of creativity and environmental stewardship thrive. Our staff of driven professionals dedicates themselves to developing cutting-edge and resourceful ways of ensuring bee health, global food security, and client engagement.